Cwmbran Magistrates’ Court heard how Alan Mosley, an employee of Bristol based Western Power Distribution PLC, suffered permanent spinal injuries as a result of falling from height after coming into contact with live electrical equipment.

An electrical power company, Western Power Distribution (South Wales) PLC has been fined.

Mr Mosley, 56, was part of a two-man team tasked with changing an antenna at Brithdir cemetery in April 2013. After climbing a ladder he received an electric shock when he touched the antenna. Pushing himself off the ladder to avoid potential electrocution, he fell four and a half metres.

Mr Mosley had been married for only eight months before the incident and, as a result of his injuries, he now has to use a wheelchair.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found there to be a fault in the wiring causing the external metal to become connected to the 230v power supply.

Western Power Distribution (South Wales) PLC, of Avonbank, Feeder Road, Bristol, was fined a total of £300,000, and ordered to pay £18,178 in costs, after pleading guilty to an offence under Regulation 4(1) and 4(3) of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector Dean Baker, said:

“Mr Mosley suffered life-changing injuries as a result of the company’s failure to carry out adequate tests on electrical equipment and was lucky not to have received a fatal electric shock.”

For more information about electrical safety visit: http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/