Enviro-Safe Limited, a Midlands based firm have been fined for failing to meet the standards required when removing asbestos.
Birmingham Magistrates Court heard how the company failed to protect their employees from the spread of asbestos fibres during the removal work at separate projects. The company had failed to protect their workers and exposed them to the risk of developing a form of cancer related to asbestos.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Enviro-Safe Limited failed to adequately assess the risk involved with the removal of asbestos material and as a result exposed its employees and others to asbestos. This risk would have been prevented by the use of enclosures which would have protected the workers from risk of asbestos fibres.
Speaking after the case HSE inspector Amy Kalay said
“Exposure to asbestos fibres is extremely dangerous to people’s health and the company had a total disregard for this when they failed to prevent the risk to their employees.”
Envrio-Safe Limited of Stratford Street North, Birmingham pleaded guilty to a breach of Regulation 16 Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 and have been fined £16,000 and ordered to pay costs of £7731.13
For more information on Asbestos please visit Asbestos Information