Teacher died from Asbestos Exposure
A coroner has ruled that a former teacher, Sue Stephens, died after being exposed to asbestos in schools.
Sue Stephens, 68, worked as a teacher in Buckinghamshire for 30 years before retiring in 2008 to Crediton, Devon. She was diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma, which can lie dormant for decades, in 2014 and died in June this year.
During the inquest, held at Exeter’s County Hall, the court heard that Sue had written a statement saying she recalled construction work being undertaken at another school and asbestos being removed by builders in the classrooms during lessons.