Cambian are one of the largest providers of specialist behavioural health services for children and adults in the UK. Their work embraces many specialist disciplines however it is united by a common purpose: To actively enable each and every one of the people in their care to achieve their personal best, however it is defined by them or for them. They are providers of services for over 2,400 individuals in 249 services. They work with over 140 public authorities and employ more than 6,000 people.
This case study details how we have provided The Cambrian Group with practical, pragmatic and effective Health and Safety support since we were appointed in 2009.
We were initially instructed to carry out a strategic health and safety audit to review arrangements for health and safety management and then to develop a corporate action plan that would result in the production of a new corporate health and safety management system. The intention was to introduce standardised processes across the Group. This initial involvement led to an annual programme of health and safety risk assessment, fire risk assessments, water risk assessments and asbestos management surveys across the Group’s portfolio.
Over the last 5 years we have provided advice and guidance across the range of risk disciplines, namely:
- health and safety
- fire safety
- water safety
- asbestos management
For example, design advice in relation to the replacement of fire suppression systems and liaison with an Environmental Health Officer in relation to the monitoring of a scheme to prevent legionella at a care home.
We have also delivered training on health and safety awareness, legionella control, manual handling, contractor control and fire wardens.
The following service delivery standards are now in place:
- Site visits to be arranged within 3 working days of acceptance of new business.
- Reports to be completed and issued within 10 working days.
- 24 – 7 hour support
We have helped the Group to develop:
- A standardised corporate compliance approach to ensure the Group effectively manages health and safety, fire safety, water safety and asbestos safety matters.
- A practical, effective health and safety management system with measureable standards.
- An effective audit programme which clearly defines ‘at risk’ sites and issues so that the resources can be targeted.
- Effective arrangements for the control and monitoring or water safety and legionella control.
- Measureable reduction in reportable accidents, recurring accidents and personal injury claims.
- Practical and pragmatic advice on health and safety issues.
- An effective response to contributing to the client project teams when new sites are constructed or existing sites refurbished.